Club Improvement Pointscore Awards
What is it?
The Club improvement point score awards reward consistent effort and improvement over the swimming year (generally 1 October to 30 September). At presentation day, an award is given to the male and female in each age group, who scores the most points over the year.
Perpetual trophies are awarded for the age categories:
- 8 and under, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and over.
There are separate male and female trophies. Each winner receives a small trophy to keep but the perpetual trophy remains with the Club.
The winner is determined by the combined points from club championships and points for improvement during the year. Points are awarded for personal best (PB) swims on official times recorded on the National Results Database.
Results from school meets are not included in the points score.
If a swimmer transfers part way through the year only swims as a Canberra ASC member will count.
Long course times are compared to the long course PB and similarly for short course races. No conversions are done to determine the points using this system.
There are double points for any PBs or first swims at club championships. It is hard to get PBs at Club Championships!
Every time a swimmer swims a PB at a meet or club night, they get a varying amount of points, awarded as follows:
- 1 point - first time swim for an event (long and short course events are one event)
- 1 point - PB between 0.01 and 1.00 seconds
- 2 points - PB between 1.01 and 2.00 seconds
- 3 points - PB between 2.01 and 3.00 seconds
- 4 points - PB of more than 3.01 seconds
- 1 point - each race at NSW Country Championships (in addition to PB points, if any)
- 2 points - each race at NSW State Championships (in addition to PB points, if any)
- 3 points - each race at Australian Championships (in addition to PB points, if any)
Note: at meets with heats and finals, points for PBs are calculated on the difference
between the swimmer’s heat entry time and their best time from either the heat or
final. Only one set of bonus points are allocated for each event, not one set for the
heat swim and one for the finals swim.